This post may contain affiliate links. For more information, read my disclosure policy here.
Lemon Blueberry Cookies are the perfect summer cookie. There is something about this combination of lemon and blueberry that make you think of sunshine and warm beautiful days. It will be love at a single bite.
These Lemon Blueberry Cookies are the perfect sweet treat. With the main ingredient being a boxed cake mix, this easy cookie recipe is fast and simple to make. The addition of fresh blueberries brings a delicious natural sweetness that pairs perfectly with the addition of the lemon zest. There’s no way that you’re going to be able to eat just one.
MORE COOKIE RECIPES YOU MIGHT LIKE
What We Love About This Blueberry Lemon Desserts Recipe
Starting with a cake mix makes this recipe so easy and quick. It is the perfect dessert for bridal showers, afternoon teas or any day of the week. It is a can’t miss recipe. They are the perfect cookie for summer.
- 30 Minute Dessert: Make these amazing cookies in just 30 minutes.
- Easy Ingredients: All found in pantry or fridge.
- Family Friendly: Sweet and tart and perfect for everyone.
- Makes Great Gift Giving: Perfect for a gift for a summer party or cookout. Give as bridal shower favors or bring to a friend’s barbeque.
- Cream Cheese, make sure it’s softened so it incorporates smoothly
- Lemon Zest: Reserve 1 tablespoon for icing
- Yellow Cake Mix , 1 box
- Fresh Blueberries: Fresh berries are best, wild blueberries are wonderful and add lots of blueberry flavor, as well
- Lemon Juice: To really up the lemon flavor, have extra lemon juice for the perfect glaze consistency
Equipment Needed for Lemon Cookies
- Mixing Bowls
- Baking Sheet or Cookie Sheet
- Baking Mat or Parchment Paper
- Cooling Rack
- Rubber Spatula
- Cookie Scoop
How to Make Lemon Blueberry Cookies
These are the basic steps for making blueberry lemonade cookies. Please refer to the recipe card below for more detailed instructions and nutrition information.
STEP 1: PREPARATION
First, use a mixer and cream together the butter and cream cheese. Then, put in the lemon extract and 2 tablespoons of lemon zest. Mix, and then add in the egg and stir. Next, add cake mix and fold in the blueberries carefully.
STEP 2: CHILL
Next, cover the bowl with plastic wrap and chill for at least two hours. The dough will firm up and all the ingredients will blend together.
STEP 3: MAKE DRIZZLE
Meanwhile, prepare your baking sheets with parchment paper and prepare your drizzle. Drizzle is made by combining powdered sugar, lemon zest, and lemon juice in a mixing bowl and whisk to mix.
STEP 4: BAKE
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees, then drop the dough balls onto the baking sheet leaving 3 inches of space between them. Pop in the oven and bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown. They should be on the center rack in your oven. Once done, take it out of the oven and let them cool on the pan for about 10 minutes then move to a cooling rack.
STEP 5: ICE
Finally, the best part, drizzle the tangy lemon glaze icing over cookies when they are completely cooled. Lastly, allow the drizzle to set before packaging or serving the chewy cookie.
Prep and Storage Tips for Easy Lemon Cookies
HOW TO MAKE THIS DELICIOUS COOKIES RECIPE AHEAD OF TIME
Really it is easy to prep this recipe ahead of time, simply make the cookie batter and place in the refrigerator until you are ready to use.
HOW TO STORE THIS LEMON COOKIE RECIPE
Store cookies in an airtight container. If it is warm, keep in the fridge so that the drizzle does not melt. The cookies should stay fresh for up to five days.
HOW TO FREEZE THIS FRUIT COOKIE RECIPE
Freeze cookies in an airtight container or freeze the dough on cookie sheets scooped out, and then freeze individual dough balls in zip top bags for up to 6 months. Pull out the amount that you need and bake as directed in the recipe card below, whenever you want cookies with a punch of fruit flavors.
Frequently Asked Questions about Blueberry Cookies
Gluten free cake mix can be utilized. Also try a sugar free cake mix and sugar substitute for the glaze.
Indeed frozen blueberries can be used for these cookies, however, they will stain the cookies and make them a blue color. They will not change the flavor of the cookie.
Of course, however I recommend making a full batch and freeze any remaining batter and use them another time for a quick snack or dessert option.
There are a few tricks to making these cookies great; such as, make sure that all your ingredients are room temperature when mixing. This will ensure that all the ingredients will blend well together and make the best cookies. Also, allow your cookies to cool completely before adding your glaze to make sure that it stays on your cookie.
Expert Tips for Making This Recipe
Add White Chocolate: Chocolate chunks or white chocolate chips will really elevate these cookies, simply add to the batter before baking.
Cake Mix: Try a white or lemon cake mix for different flavors.
Variation tip: A little yellow food coloring added to your glaze will make the cookies look beautiful.
Different Fruit: Make these cookies with strawberries too.
Alternate cooking method tip: Cookies can be made in the air fryer as well.
What to Serve with Blueberry Lemon Cookies
- Lemon Bundt Cake
Did you try this recipe?
⭐ Click below to leave a review and rating! ⭐
Lemon Blueberry Cookies
- Unbleached Parchment Paper for Baking
- 8 ounces cream cheese softened
- ½ cup butter softened
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 3 tablespoons lemon zest reserve 1 tablespoon for icing
- 1 large egg
- 1 box yellow cake mix can use lemon if desired
- 1½ cups fresh blueberries
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Use a mixer and cream together the butter and cream cheese.
- Put in the lemon extract and 2 tablespoons lemon zest. Mix.
- Add in the egg and mix.
- Mix in the cake mix.
- Carefully fold in the blueberries so that you don’t crush them.
- Place plastic wrap on the bowl and put it in the fridge to chill for several hours. The dough should firm up.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Add parchment paper to a baking sheet.
- Drop the dough balls onto the baking sheet leaving 3 inches of space between them.
- Pop in the oven and bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown. They should be on the center rack in your oven.
- Once done, take it out of the oven and let them cool on the pan for about 10 minutes then move to cooling rack.
- Make the drizzle by combining powdered sugar, lemon zest, and lemon juice. Use a fork or whisk to mix. Add in more sugar or juice as needed. Drizzle over the top of the cookies.
Estimated Nutritional Information
The nutritional information provided are estimates. To learn more about how I calculate this information go to https://cakemixrecipes.com/privacy-policy-2/