This rainbow colorful cupcakes recipe is a favorite. It is great for children’s parties, Mardi Gras or Easter celebrations. They are a creamy ricotta cheese rainbow cupcake with marshmallow buttercream frosting.
Colorful cupcakes are fun to make and fun to eat. They are super easy because you start with a box cake mix then add ricotta cheese and lots of fun color and a marshmallow buttercream topping with sprinkles. It makes a decadent cupcake that everyone will love.
MORE CUPCAKE RECIPES YOU MIGHT LIKE
What We Love About This Rainbow cupcake Recipe
This recipe is great because these cupcakes are so cool. They’re perfect for a celebration, and when you taste them you will be blown away with the creamy magical texture.
- 30 Minutes to Make: This recipe is so quick and easy.
- Easy Ingredients: All found in pantry or fridge.
- Family Friendly: These cupcakes scream fun for the family.
- Makes Great Gifts: Great for parties or gift giving.
Almost all the ingredients are pantry staples, however there are a few things listed below that you will need.
- White Cake Mix: Any brand will do, use whatever is your favorite.
- Ricotta Cheese: This gives the decadent texture to these cupcakes.
- Lorann Marshmallow Flavored Syrup: All the gooey flavor without the mess! Marshmallow flavor adds the yumminess of marshmallows to your cakes, cookies, and candies. It also makes a fun topping for cakes or cookies by adding it to vanilla frosting.
- KitchenAid Classic Mixing Bowls
- OCTAVO 5 Speed Hand Mixer Electric
- Caperci Standard White Cupcake Liners 500 Count,
- Wilton Perfect Results Premium Non-Stick Bakeware Standard Muffin and Cupcake Pan, 12-Cup Baking Pan
How to Make Cupcakes Rainbow Style
These are the basic steps for making cupcakes rainbow style. Please refer to the recipe card below for more detailed instructions.
STEP 1: PREP
First, preheat oven to 350 degrees and then spray or line a standard muffin tin. Next, add cake mix to a large mixing bowl. Using a hand or stand mixer, mix in your ingredients and blend well.
STEP 2: COLOR AND BAKE
Second, evenly separate the batter into 6 containers and color each with the 6 food colors until desired color of each is achieved. Add a small spoonful of each color of the batter into the muffin tin until each is about 2/3 full. Next, bake for 18-20 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Allow to cool completely before frosting.
STEP 3: ICING
Then in a large mixing bowl, cream the butter and beat until light and fluffy, then add in the vanilla extract. Slowly mix in the powdered sugar, while adding a bit of the half and half or milk in between each cup. Continue to mix until creamy, and lastly add in your marshmallow flavoring.
STEP 4: DECORATE
Prepare piping bag and fill bag with frosting. Frost your cupcakes and top each cupcake with the rainbow sprinkles.
Prep and Storage Tips
HOW TO MAKE THIS RECIPE AHEAD OF TIME
You can bake cupcakes up to two days ahead; arrange them (unfrosted) in an airtight container and store at room temperature. Frost before serving.
HOW TO STORE THIS RECIPE
Store in an airtight container. Air is the enemy of your colorful cupcakes.
HOW TO FREEZE THIS RECIPE
To freeze, arrange unfrosted cupcakes on a baking sheet and wrap the whole sheet in plastic wrap, then in foil, or store in an airtight container. Freeze up to three months. Thaw at room temperature before unwrapping. Then frost as normal.
Frequently Asked Questions about this Cupcake Rainbow Recipe
ZenSweet Vanilla Bean Cake Mix – Vanilla Cake Mix with No Sugar Added can be used along with no calorie sweetener to make a lighter version of these colorful cupcakes.
Yes, many things are good substitutions for the ricotta cheese in this recipe. For example:
*Dairy-free ricotta usually made with nuts
Indeed, you can adjust the recipe to make the quantity of cupcakes that you require.
The best way to make a tender cupcake is to not overmix, make sure you stop just as the ingredients are mixed. For more hints, check here.
Expert Tips for Making This Coloured Cupcakes Recipe
- Add Candy: Little Candy pieces or mini m&m’s are a wonderful addition to this recipe.
- Short cut tip: Make the cupcakes the day before and then decorate when you need them.
- Variation tip: Color the icing different colors to match the rainbow theme.
- Top: Top this fun rainbow colorful cupcakes recipe with these rainbow prism rings. A great take home.
- Piping Bag and Tip: Here is a cute starter kit of a bag and tips to use for decorating.
Did you try this recipe?
⭐ Click below to leave a review and rating! ⭐
Rainbow Colorful Cupcakes
- 1 cake mix white
- 1 cup water
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 3 egg whites large
- ¾ cup ricotta cheese
- Gel food coloring red, orange, yellow, green, blue, and purple gel food coloring
- Frosting Ingredients
- 1 1/2 sticks salted butter softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon half and half or whole milk
- Lorann marshmallow flavored syrup
- sprinkles Rainbow colored
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray or line a standard muffin tin.
- Add cake mix to a large mixing bowl. Using a hand or stand mixer, mix in your water, oil, and eggs on medium until well incorporated. Mix in the ricotta cheese.
- Evenly separate the batter into 6 containers and color each with the 6 food colors until desired color of each is achieved.
- Add a small spoonful of each color of the batter into the muffin tin until each is about 2/3 full. Bake for 18-20 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Allow to cool completely before frosting.
- Directions for Frosting:
- In a large mixing bowl or stand mixer, cream the butter, and beat until light and fluffy. Add in the vanilla extract.
- Slowly mix in the powdered sugar, 1 cup at a time, while adding a bit of the half and half or milk in between each cup. Continue to mix for 1 minute or until creamy. Add in your marshmallow flavoring.
- Prepare piping bag and fill bag with frosting. Frost your cupcakes and top each cupcake with the rainbow sprinkles
Estimated Nutritional Information
The nutritional information provided are estimates. To learn more about how I calculate this information go to https://cakemixrecipes.com/privacy-policy-2/
This recipe is my personal adaption of an ethnic inspired recipe. It is not intended to be an authentic recipe. I’ve recreated this recipe because I enjoy the flavors and I want to encourage my readers to expand their tastes and try new flavor combinations. The recipe, ingredients and processes may have been adapted to make the recipe accessible for the average American. I have provided links to authentic versions of the recipe in the post above. I encourage you to visit these pages and learn more about the traditional version(s) of this recipe.