Since it’s strawberry season, Strawberry Crumble should most definitely be on your list of desserts to make this summer!
I love this recipe because it only requires 15 minutes of prep, and then your oven does most of the work! This simple crumble recipe is the perfect dessert for family gatherings, BBQs or just a yummy treat to enjoy at home. Serve in a bowl with vanilla ice cream or enjoy it as it is.
You might be thinking, what even is strawberry crumble? Well, a crumble is very similar to a cobbler. Crumbles just have a thinner crust on top that tends to crumble, while a cobbler tends to stay more together.
MORE STRAWBERRY RECIPES YOU MIGHT LIKE
What We Love About This Recipe
- 15 Minute Prep: You only have to prep/work for 15 minutes and then your oven takes over!
- Easy Ingredients: There’s only 6 ingredients that go into making strawberry crumble!
- Family Friendly: Everyone in the family is going to love this easy strawberry dessert! Kids especially love strawberries!
- Adaptable: Can adapt it to meet dietary needs!
- Makes Great Leftovers: Make strawberry crumble bars! A good way to turn leftovers into easy strawberry bars is to throw the dish into the freezer and coat them in chocolate to help keep everything together.
- Strawberries: It’s best to use fresh berries!
- Strawberry Cake Mix: Strawberry cake mix will help amp up the strawberry flavors!
- Cream Cheese: You’ll find that when it’s softened to it’ll mix better than if it were straight out of the fridge.
Variations and Substitutions
- You could use an angel cake mix, yellow cake mix or white cake mix instead of strawberry!
- This recipe is easy to adapt to dietary needs! To make it low calorie, use a low calorie cake mix!
How to Make Strawberry Crumble
These are the basic steps for making this easy cake mix Strawberry Crumble. Please refer to the recipe card below for more detailed instructions.
STEP 1: Prep
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and grease a 9×13 baking dish.
While your oven is preheating, clean and dice the strawberries. Once done, put them into the dish and add 1/8 cup of sugar and 2 tablespoons of flour on top. Stir to combine.
STEP 2: Layer
Mix to combine the softened cream cheese with the last 1/4 cup of sugar until well combined. Spoon the mixture onto the top of the strawberries. Do not spread it out.
Take the strawberry cake mix and sprinkle it over the top. Crumble large lumps between your fingers and then lightly pat down the mixture.
STEP 3: Bake
Pour some melted butter over the top and bake the strawberry crumble for 45-50 minutes or until the top is golden brown.
Let cool for about 10 minutes. Serve and enjoy!
Prep and Storage Tips for Strawberry Crumble
HOW TO MAKE STRAWBERRY CRUMBLE AHEAD OF TIME
Cut up the strawberries and mix together the cream cheese and sugar ahead of time! All that you’ll have to do is layer everything together.
HOW TO STORE STRAWBERRY DESSERT
Store in an airtight container in the fridge! Crumbles will last in the fridge for up to 4 days.
HOW TO FREEZE THIS RECIPE
Store in freezer bags! It will keep in the freezer for up to 3 months.
HOW TO REHEAT STRAWBERRY CRUMBLE
After it’s out of the oven, you don’t need to reheat it! If you would like to, microwave it for 15 seconds at a time.
Frequently Asked Questions
Sure! Blueberries or raspberries would be delicious!
Absolutely! Doubling or halving this recipe is easy!
Kind of, yeah! This strawberry crumble is going to be sweeter than a traditional shortcake but it’s the same idea with the strawberries and the cake crumbles.
Maybe. Be careful your crumble doesn’t end up too wet due to all the juicy strawberries, unless that’s what you’re going for!
Expert Tips for Making This Recipe
- Cake Mix: If you love chocolate, try it with a box of chocolate cake mix instead!
- Add a Crumbly Strawberry Topping: Add a strawberry crumb topping as an extra layer, on top of the crumble topping, of crunchy strawberry goodness!
- Short Cut Tip: Although fresh strawberries have a much better flavor, use frozen strawberries, preferably sliced, to cut out a step!
- Variation Tip: Try making this with a mixture of berries like blueberries, blackberries and raspberries! Or you could even try a strawberry rhubarb crumble!
- Added Flavor: Try adding in a little lemon juice in with your strawberries!Lemon juice will help bring out the strawberry flavor. You could also add in lemon zest.
- Toppings: Try and oat and brown sugar topping! If you want to try an oat and brown sugar topping, add it on top right before you Throw it in the oven.
What to Serve with Strawberry Crumble
- Ice Cream
- Whipped Cream
- Fruit and Marshmallow Fluff Fruit Dip
Did you try this recipe?
⭐ Click below to leave a review and rating! ⭐
- 2 lbs approximately 4 ½ c strawberries, stems removed and diced
- ⅛ + ¼ c granulated sugar, divided
- 2 tbsp all purpose flour
- 1 box strawberry cake mix, I used Duncan Hines Perfectly Moist Strawberry Supreme Cake Mix, 15.25 oz
- 1 block of cream cheese, softened
- 12 tbsp salted butter, melted (You can use salted, or unsalted butter, but I prefer the little extra added salt to balance out all the sweetness in this recipe)
- Olive oil/cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 350℉.
- Spray a 9×13 baking dish with spray. Set aside.
- Clean and dice the strawberries. Once done, put them into the dish.
- Add 1/8 cup of sugar and flour over the top of the strawberries and stir.
- Grab a bowl and mix the softened cream cheese with the rest of the sugar (1/4 cup) until mixed well. Add the mixture onto the top of the strawberries in spoonfuls. Don’t spread it out.
- Take the strawberry cake mix and sprinkle it over the top. Don’t leave large lumps – crumble those between your fingers and then lightly pat down the mixture.
- Put some melted butter over the top and put in the oven for 45-50 minutes to bake.
- Let it cool for about 10 minutes to cool.