Beach Cupcakes are the perfect little treat to serve when you want to bask in the summer sun. Whether it is summer and you are by the pool or just wish you were, these whimsical cupcakes will delight and inspire all who see them. Additionally, they are so yummy and really easy to create.
These beach cupcakes look like they came out of a high end bakery or created by a pinterest star. However, these creative cupcakes are so simple to bake and decorate you won’t believe how truly easy they are to make. Once you know how to do the basics you can allow your imagination to run wild.
MORE CUPCAKE RECIPES YOU MIGHT LIKE
What We Love About This Recipe
If you are looking for a cupcake that is fun and creative, this is the recipe for you. No difficult or complicated steps, just fun and cool cupcakes you will be proud to say that you made yourself.
- 30 Minutes: Quick to create with a store bought cake mix.
- Easy Ingredients: All found in pantry or fridge.
- Family Friendly: They are fun to look at and to eat.
- Adaptable: Can make with a lower calorie mix or gluten free.
Ingredient Notes for Ocean and Beach Cupcakes
- Cake Mix: Really you can use your favorite, however for this recipe we used a Yellow Box cake mix, and you will need the ingredients required to make it.
- Gold and blue sanding sugar – Use the gold for the sand and the blue for the ocean.
- White and gold pearl sugar decorations
- White and blue frosting- Buy premade or make your own.
- Sugar shell decorations – Amazon cute ones are linked here for you.
- Ocean animal sugar decorations – Make your own from molds or use premade sugar ones.
- Paper drink/craft umbrellas– These umbrellas are so cute and are great for more than just drinks.
- KitchenAid Classic Mixing Bowls
- OCTAVO 5 Speed Hand Mixer Electric
- DI ORO Designer Series Flexible 3-Piece Silicone Turner Spatula Set
- Caperci Standard White Cupcake Liners 500 Count,
- Cookie Scoop
How to Make Beach Cupcakes
These are the basic steps for making beach cupcakes. Please refer to the recipe card below for more detailed instructions.
STEP 1: PREP
First, preheat oven and then prepare the cupcakes per the instructions on the box. Line your cupcake tray with paper liners and scoop the cake batter into the liners. Bake cupcakes per recipe and cool completely.
STEP 2: ICE
Gently and lightly mix blue and white frosting together to create an ocean water look. Next, pipe a thin base of white frosting on each cupcake. For beach only looks, dip cupcake upside down in blue or gold sanding sugar.
STEP 3: DECORATE
Finally, place desired sugar decorations on top and lastly, add umbrella if desired.
Prep and Storage Tips for Beach Themed Cupcakes
HOW TO MAKE THIS RECIPE AHEAD OF TIME
The cupcakes can be made a day or two ahead of time and kept in the fridge until ready to decorate.
HOW TO STORE THIS RECIPE
Store wrapped well in aluminum foil or plastic wrap or store in an airtight container in the fridge until ready to serve.
HOW TO FREEZE THIS RECIPE
It is best to freeze these cupcakes unfrosted or undecorated so that the candy colors do not bleed into the frosting and create a mess. Thaw in the refrigerator overnight and then decorate as you like.
Frequently Asked Questions about Summer Cupcakes
Fist, for the ½ beach ½ ocean looks dip only half of the cupcake in sanding sugar.
Next add a dollop of blue & white ocean frosting to the other half of the cupcake.
Then, use a small round flat instrument ( I used a decorating knife but a butter knife is perfect as well ) to create waves in the frosting and finally, decorate with the animal figures.
Of course, use the flavors that you like, you can even use food dye to make a blue ocean theme for your cupcakes.
Have a big party or a large class of kids to create these cupcakes for, you can make as many as you need by increasing the recipe.
There are several tricks that you can use to ensure that your cupcakes are super moist. For example: Add an extra egg. Replace oil with butter and replace the water with milk or half and half.
Expert Tips for Making This Tropical Cupcakes Recipe
- Fun Liners: Use a fun liner that reflects the beach theme.
- Add More fun Decorations: Sunglasses and beach balls are fun additions.
- Variation tip: Fish, dolphins or sharks can be added to your cupcake design.
- Dietary consideration tip: Feel free to use a fat free, low calorie or gluten free box cake mix to reflect your dietary needs.
What to Serve with Beach Themed Cupcakes
- Swedish Fish
- Tropical Drinks
- Gummy Sharks
Did you try this recipe?
⭐ Click below to leave a review and rating! ⭐
- Cookie Scoop
- Yellow cake mix and ingredients needed per box
- sanding sugar Gold and blue
- pearl sugar decorations White and gold
- frosting White and blue
- Bake cupcakes per recipe and cool completely
- Gently and lightly mix blue and white frosting together to create an ocean water look
- Pipe a thin base of white frosting on each cupcake
- For beach only looks dip cupcake upside down in blue or gold sanding sugar
- Place desired sugar decorations on top
- Add umbrella if desired
- For ½ beach ½ ocean looks dip only half of the cupcake in sanding sugar
- Next add a dollop of blue & white ocean frosting to the other half of the cupcake
- Use a small round flat instrument ( I used a decorating knife but a butter knife is perfect as well ) to create waves in the frosting
The nutritional information provided are estimates. To learn more about how I calculate this information go to https://cakemixrecipes.com/privacy-policy-2/
This recipe is my personal adaptation of an ethnic inspired recipe. It is not intended to be an authentic recipe. I’ve recreated this recipe because I enjoy the flavors and I want to encourage my readers to expand their tastes and try new flavor combinations. The recipe, ingredients and processes may have been adapted to make the recipe accessible for the average American. I have provided links to authentic versions of the recipe in the post above. I encourage you to visit these pages and learn more about the traditional version(s) of this recipe.